Food Storage Analyzer™ Preparedness Pantry Blog Independence Acres: Work a little, "Play" a little

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Work a little, "Play" a little

Today I'd like to think I got a good bit of work done, both at work and in the garden. I work from home so my breaks usually consist of taking a break to work outside awhile in the garden. Today we harvested a load of Cayenne Peppers, Cajun Bell Peppers, Heirloom Beefsteak tomatoes, Cucumbers, and a load of Zuchinni Squash. I also went and did a bit of grocery shopping and managed to dehydrate a pound of mushrooms I got on sale at the store yesterday. Then we went out and worked this afternoon in the garden spreading cow manure and wood chip mulch around the watermelons (the poor wilting things). It seems I can't water them enough, and with the added issues with my well not pumping correctly it looks as if I will need rain barrels sooner, rather than later! I watered them probably two minutes before our water shut off again. I definitely need to get someone out to look at the well, and soon! We also got four eggs today, one of the ladies had to have laid two as our pullets are too small to be laying yet. We now have 2 Black Australorp Hens, 1 Barred Rock hen, 1 Barred Rock rooster, 2 Rhode Island Red pullets, and 4 Copper Maran Pullets in our main pen. We have 2 Cochin, 2 Guinea Fowl, and a pair of Bantams in the chicken tractor at the moment. We are hoping to add Muscovies,a few more Guinea fowl, and a turkey or two(for holiday dining). Eventually we hope to add some to raise on pasture as well for the freezer. We are also looking into replacing our rabbits, and maybe getting a milk goat. Pigs are not allowed here due to covenants but other livestock is permitted so I think a goat will be perfect. We have loads of Kudzu so graze shouldn't be an issue :)

No comments:

Post a Comment