Food Storage Analyzer™ Preparedness Pantry Blog Independence Acres: Of Chickens,Ducks, and Guinea Fowl

Monday, June 11, 2012

Of Chickens,Ducks, and Guinea Fowl

I can hardly wait to find some Guinea and some Muscovy Ducks-we have a real tick problem here on the homestead and I'm tired of picking the evil little things off myself and the kids. We do have chickens who would eat them, but unfortunately they also like to peck holes in the blueberries and pierce the tomatoes with those razor sharp beaks! So now we are on the hunt for ducks and guinea, seeing as neither of those eat what we are trying to grow for ourselves. I've learned from experience that the Muscovy duck is an amazing forager, and a great addition to the homestead. They are excellent layers, have a docile temperament, and are willing to forage for the majority of their food. They will also hatch off chicken eggs if added to their nest, although I'm not sure if that is typical behavior as there is a difference in the incubation period. Now Guinea Fowl, on the other hand, are birds of a different caliber. I've been unable to keep more than 2 Guinea Fowl as the others flew the coop several days after purchasing them. I was rather distraught, to say the least! Either way, I've been told that they will not fly away if penned for several weeks before allowing them to range. Now all I have to do is find some :)

No comments:

Post a Comment